Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Lots Goin' On!

6.6.2017

Today is  "D-Day" - make sure to say a prayer of thanks for those brave men who died that day, trying to help us stay free...

Let's see- Seems to me that I missed May completely. It was a good month- and a bad month. Two non-paying boarders moved their horses to another farm. One because it was so close to her house and the other ? Who knows.  Horses are relaxed, and turn outs are easy breezy. The last weekend in May was my birthday. Oh- and Memorial day too. I joke w/ folks, saying that people have parades, picnics and fireworks "just to celebrate my birthday" !  ( I really do know better)  It was wonderful- my older sister and younger brother came up from Maryland to visit with cake and gifts. They even sang happy birthday. It was so nice to be able to visit with them for a while. We went out for a late lunch and then they had to go. Every time I wished they could stay longer.

The remaining hens have settled in pretty well by now. There are three black hens. one lavender hen, one little Cochin bantam hen, and two "teenagers". Both hens also... One lavender and one weird looking thing that I was calling "pecker head" for a while. She is now named "Star".  She was left here by one of the gals who moved her horse, and it is nothing like my fat farm hens. She's flighty, silly, and Always on guard for monsters. ( you know those 'monsters' that like to sneak around, scaring the life out of chickens, right ?) Also- Gracie is here still. She's my bantam Silkie. Below is Gracie having her photo taken by my trail camera!

Been hitching n' driving Briana some. Mostly it has been raining here, so the footing wasn't the best for driving. We did drive down the road one time- Briana thought it was interesting to be going somewhere else. She's such a sweetie. My husband calls her " little Evie" because of how she acts and looks.
This was Evie, andddddd
                              This is Briana...

Much smaller but just as smart and funny too. Never did I think that I'd fall in love with a 13.1 hand PONY, but I have. She's as much fun as one of my Percheron's only in a smaller package.

 Hay is being cut up here in Penciltucky finally. Soon our hay loft will be full of sweet,fresh green hay.I always love having hay up before Fall... it is nice to know that when the snow falls, we are prepared.  Back in Maryland, I imagine they're on their second cutting of hay. We are a good 2 weeks behind them.

Plenty of rain means plenty of grass... And Weeds.  Yuck-I have been mowing weeds like mad, trying to let the grass grow instead. It's working slowly. I know how to create lush green pastures, but up here ? Ha- no extra money for fertilizer, lime or weed killer.  So, I mow.

That's about it for now- hope your week goes great.















No comments: