Thursday, December 28, 2017

Brrrrrrrr

Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas !
This morning, I had some great company in the barn! A long time pal brought his gelding down to our farm so he and his farrier could meet "half" way. His horse needed a reset or new shoes, and our farm was luckily about midway for them both.
Glenn helped in the early AM, and went back to the house.... I was left w/ the VERY poopy stalls to get cleaned . Already tired from the holiday stuff, I sure as heck didn't want to do double duty on stalls. Pretty much each one got stripped but for the ponies. New bedding added ( which of course was partially frozen- thank goodness for pitch forks!) buckets refilled, feed set up and hay in for the evening. We have yet to have ice in the barn except for the chickens' water. That only had a little covering on it. Tomorrow, I want to combine chickens into one stall and give them a heated water dish.
This was during the time that my pal's gelding was being cared for. Holy moly what a shock from last week's warmth ! Even though our barn stays toasty - well as much as it can in 17 degree temps- it still was freakin COLD out. Sheeesh / lol. I couldn't feel my right foot at all.
After cleaning the equivalent of 14 stalls and re-bedding them, needless to say, this ah hem- "older" body was poohed out ! Still is but at least I can feel those toes now 
Happily, it was pretty much done by around 12:30 and the barn is back to normal again. I really think everyone inside it partied for two nights BIG time. Gawd, what a mess.....even with just a few horses compared to what I did before I moved up here. Lol- I now once again, realize that I am getting to old for all this.

No comments: