Wednesday, June 13, 2018

'We Gots New Babies!'

For quite a few months, I debated about having more chickens here on the farm but chose not to. Why?  Because now that my soul mate is gone, that leaves me with two horses of my own. I've not been down to TWO horses for I don't know how long! When I first moved to this area, there were six. Granted, one was a pony and the other a foal, but there they were.  At one point, this barn was full, and it quickly became a LOT of work for one person ( Me & occasional helpers).  Happily, I own just the two now- and I am liking it fine. Of course, there are boarders here, but so long as I keep an eye on them ( And I DO)- and care for them, my main concerns are my two beasties. Much less feed to order, same w/ the hay for winter, and keeping track of a few horses is a breeze now.

The weather once is stopped Raininggggggg, got very pleasant, so I began letting horses spend a lot more time outdoors. Like 24/7. I had NO complaints from any of them.  Fly spray, water, breakfast n' dinner- and in between?  Grazin in the grass.  Even those who had been pampered and figured that here, life should be the same loved being out.

 But I digress. Once I am down to just one equine, this farm will be sold and we'll be downsizing. That is the main reason for not getting chickens. Well, that and the fact that they were being killed at a helluva high rate. Spring is horrid for predators stealing into chicken coops at night and having a grand time killing my girls. Each time it happens, I feel so sad for them. Not that they died so much but HOW.  What a horrid, horrid way to die.

 Thanks to my 'window shopping' on the local Craigs' List, I noticed an ad for Orpingtons. Not just the average chicken but LAVENDER Orps!!!  Those are absolutely my most favorite chicken breed. Firstly, I adore the Fat Farm Hen breeds, and Orpingtons are FFHens. They are so friendly and peaceful- even the black crosses I have are sweet and friendly. Lastly, there's a decent market for selling any I might have for sale. The breeder made me a deal I couldn't ignore and 7 "Littles" came home with me.

 First, they were spooked being in a different place with different smells and sounds, but it didn't take long for them to learn that good things came thru that stall door. Two mornings later, I had 7 little gate greeters there to meet me. I brought FOOD for them :). When I had time, I'd sit with them as they had breakfast or dinner. Soon, curiosity got the best of them, and I was surrounded by teenage chicks. There seem to be 3 cockerels ( roosters) and 4 hens- but I am never SURE till crowing begins. Stay tuned on that.

Here are some pics of them, taken yesterday I think...


                                            Apparently, they liked my shoe and snuggled up...
                                           

                                          Some have names- The one below is Princess,
                                    because she acts as though she should be treated as such.
                                           I believe the handsome guy below is a Cockerel...
                                               and his name is "Sam"
                 

                                         Below, one of the other possible roosters sparring
                                           with Sam.
                                                         
                                                              My "Gate Greeters!"
                                     
                                      Then there were four of them snuggled beside my foot...

I love chickens almost as much as my horses. They all have distinct personalitlies, are pretty smart for "eraser brains''. and they give us fresh, delicious eggs to boot. They eat bugs, and scratch the manure piles so I don't have to spread them, and they are good company when I'm at the barn all alone.

Between the new barn kitty girls, the chickens, and the horses, we all make a strange group!

Image result for contentment quotes











No comments: