Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Summer 2019

Wow, have I ever been a slacker here. It has been an interesting Spring and early Summer at this farm.

First, we are downsizing BIG time. This coming September 7th, there is to be an auction here. We will sell whatever we won't be taking with us, and then once that's done, this farm is to be auctioned off. It appears my husband decided this, even if I don't agree.  And that's that.  Sadly, I've been sorting thru all of the items gathered over the years. Tough choices as to what to take and what will be for sale.

Many many memories in this "stuff" of mine. Some good, some not so good. I shall miss my wonderful hill at the top of the farm. Many's the time I have walked up there and felt as though I could see the whole world. Missing the mountain view already.

 This past April, I lost my last Percheron. Bojangles hindquarters had gotten so weak that there were times I feared he might stumble and go down. Never wanting to see that happen, we chose a day for him to move onto the 'Summerland'. He would be with his best friend there, and there wouldn't be any more pain for him.  The farm's vet arrived and I'd already planned where he would be buried. Gently he slipped away in total peace... Bo was ready to leave this earth. After it was all quiet, Briana and I walked to where he was laying so she could understand.  Horses know all too well about death... and I wanted to allow her to accept that he was gone. She's the only critter left here now on 4 legs. We stood beside him and she sniffed his neck a little, and another time. Then she was ready to leave, so we walked back to her pasture. No calls, no running like one who didn't understand it all.  She quietly went back to grazing, occasionally looking up the hill to where her pal was. And that was it. She has asked me where he was and I explained it to her again. Eventually, she was fine with it all. I thought perhaps to get another horse for her to be pals with. She hasn't fussed at all.  So perhaps she is independent enough to live with just me and those goofy chickens as pasture pals?  It has been good so far.  I know I'll miss him- all of his silly antics and how gentle and loving he was.

 Slowly but surely, I am marching towards a full retirement; I will be boarding my 'short horse' with someone I hope will care for her as well as I do, and that will be that.  The husband says we're going to do some traveling- but somehow I don't see that happening much.

If you have nothing to do on September 7th, come over and see what we have.















No comments: