Wednesday, July 25, 2018

A Farrier, a Veterinarian, and a Choke

7.24.18
Whewwww, whatta day. First, all it has done lately is rain. Sometimes heavy as can be, and sometimes a gentle drizzle. The whole farm is saturated w/ water, and the creek is flooded big time. Gosh, gods of rain- I know I said we needed some rain, but not THIS much. Of course, with rain comes humidity that is in the 90% range. It's terrible- and reminds me of when I vacationed in Bermuda. NOTHING dried, it poured every afternoon. Ugh. So, as it is now, I'm sitting in my 3rd change of clothing for the day. From what I read, it's supposed to be 'wet' till Thursday. Well, we certainly got enough rain!!
I headed to the barn to give BoJangles his lunch. He's not eating hay much at all now. Those old man teeth,yanno... the vet who floated them said they were fine, but still.
At about 2:50 or so I returned to the barn to give all the hungry faces a very early dinner (these horses are only getting a VERY small amount of feed- it is more of a token- but it makes them feel special. I thought I'd just turn them out as they were done getting their hooves trimmed. Bo wasn't interested in his feed. Hmmmmm............. I let it go but kept thinking about him. He'd stand in one corner of his double stall. Another odd thing. Took his temperature - it was normal. Hmmmmmmmm...... Very occasionally, he'd paw like he was colicky. Hmmmmmmmmmm...I got my stethoscope and listened to his middle for gut sounds, and they were normal. I watched him thru two horses being trimmed by the farrier. Walking to his stall, he turned his wonderful big Percheron face to look at me. He had liquid coming out of his nostril! Now I realized what was going on... he was choking. Got on the cell phone and called my vet who luckily was right there to answer.
So- I had a farrier trimming horses in the aisle, J. had arrived to help out or just be here... and now the vet was on her way. Sheeesh. Spending money right n' left today.
Once she arrived- she brought her husband whom I'd not had the pleasure of meeting. He's super- and a perfect guy for Becky. She tranquilized Bo after deciding that indeed he was choking. Most likely on what he'd had for lunch. Poor old' Bo... like he hasn't enough problems. She tubed him, discovered just where the blockage was and eventually she got him all cleared. Whewwwww... He's on antibiotics for a few days and has to get soup for feed for a few days, then be brought back carefully as his throat is so sore.
I could tell he felt better because immediately he started schnuffling around his mat for FOOD. Nope- no food for you for a few days, pal. Just "mush". Right now, he's come out of being tranquilized and got his meds and is happily eating grass.
Again- whewwwwwwww. I am NOT ready to lose that big putz in the least. I love them all so deeply and he's my last Heavy Horse. I get all weepy when I think of my life without a Percheron to love... 
" the times, they are a-changing".

No comments: