Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Welcome April

4.8.14

Wow, the weather is Finally acting a little more like Spring here in central Pennsylvania.

Since we decided to switch from drafters to draft Ponies, life has been interesting... Draft sized items for sale, and learning just what to purchase for the two 14hh ponies. I know "what" I need, but the sizes are all different. A drafter pal of mine bought my biothane work harness for her Percherons, giving the money to order a small version of a driving harness. It was fun talking to the Amish harness shops' owner and ordering a brand spankin' new little harness for Cherry to wear. I already own one that fits Rose perfectly. It'll be so nice to not have to resize one harness for 2-3 big horses.

 Everyone has gotten past having upper respiratory problems, thanks to little Rosie bringing hers along with her when she moved in. No more troubles at all now. Boarders are leaving and others are coming- so life goes on concerning that.

There are some super gals as working students here now!  I am in heaven- no drama, no grumpies, just laughter in the barn at last. Sometimes, I wish I was independently wealthy, I wouldn't have to deal with other folks' horses then. The people who have their horses here now are simply grand- and I adore them all. So, perhaps it IS good to care for other's horses ? Ok- talked myself into it.  The BEST part of being independently wealthy would be that I wouldn't have to clean stalls any more !  Now that would be superb.

Anyhow- back to the folks at the barn... It's wonderful to have some responsible people coming here. They want to learn how to care for horses correctly,and more. So often, that part of horse keeping isn't taught- the parts like how to clean a stall the right way ( yeah- there really IS one ;) , how to correctly and efficiently groom one's horse. How to tack up and have all adjusted so the horse is comfortable as well as the rider ; just a few things that aren't well known around this area. ( All over, for that matter)  This coming May, we are holding a Driving Clinic- I hope it's not a "flop" like so many things lately. Then, during the summer, a summer morning camp.

Spring is arriving- the grass is trying to get green, the forsythia has teeny buds on it and the daffodils are up. This past winter has been so hard on this farm- and it's inhabitants, from the giant draft horses right down to the smallest hen. Speaking of hens- I removed all of the 'winterized' items a couple of weeks ago. Now, RC stands looking out the windows, waiting for me to come open their door for the day. Oh- and crowing his fool head off....

I had kept a month long diary for the month of April, for Farm & Ranch Living magazine last year, and the issue finally was published !  It turned out really well too- I was surprised at the photos chosen and how a very small amount had been changed. Everyone at the barn was thrilled to see it 'on paper' and we felt like acting like celebrities ! < big grins here>

I hope to keep up with this blog more, now that winter is over and no one is sick or getting sick. Stay tuned for more tales from me !
             
                 In the meantime- we FINALLY got the farms' sign installed  :


Anddddd, a couple of Pony Pictures !

Cherry, above

Rose above.... Apparently, Rose is competing for the 
Dirtiest Pony Award of the Week.













No comments: