Saturday, January 22, 2022

Carriage Tales...

 1.22.22


 Hmmm, check out those Twos!

Once upon a time, there was a fella who wanted to ask his girl to marry him... He thought and thought. All of a sudden, he thought- A Carriage! What would be more beautiful than a white carriage pulled by a gorgeous horse? Talk about romance!

 That's where we came in...

He called and luckily, I had just had a cancelation for the day he had in mind. Yes- we could do this romantic proposal ride... We were supposed to be at the spot a little early so when he and his girl showed up, there we'd be. Oh, did I mention- this was a total surprise for her? So, I scrubbed a very dirty Percheron mare until she was pure white again, and cleaned the carriage until it was pure white too. We arrived, got hitched up, and waited only for a couple of minutes when he drove up & parked. They walked over and introduced themselves. Of course, we already had met, but she didn't know that. 

The fellow asked if we were able to give them a ride and I said that most likely we could. Well, the girlfriend didn't see any reason to go for a ride in a carriage along a bumpy road. He tried to convince her to go for a short ride- and what better way to see the countryside than from a carriage? It was hot as Hades that day and I was beginning to wonder if this was going to work out at all. (I wanted to turn around and say " just get yourself in this carriage, child! He wants to ask a very important question" but I didn't... I just smiled. A Lot)

Finally, I said to them- we'll just go to the end of the old road, and come back... that's about all we can do.  < crossing my fingers>

''Sighhhhhh''   '' alright- since you're here and all'' and they got into the carriage. We had already made sure the entrance gate would be opened for us to drive through, and off we went.

It was so cool in the woods- shady with a nice breeze blowing... I was enjoying this drive immensely. My mare was too, I think. We turned a corner and drove through a long field and it was so quiet and wonderful. I asked my mare to trot up a hill and across that field with waist-high grasses growing. She shook her huge neck and off we went. I do believe that the girlfriend was having a good time- I could hear her laughing as we began that trot.

We arrived at the area near the river and what a view it was! The white sails of sailboats, speed boats, and the giant yachts on the river that day made for a lovely backdrop. 

Driving around the last corner, the grassy fields opened to a yard-like setting. Tables had been set up with white and purple tablecloths and chairs to sit on. Crystal goblets for wine or champagne, and oh, it looked so beautiful.

 We drove around the tables and stopped on the other side. The couple got out and thanked us for a wonderful ride. We pulled around to where it was shady and waited. They greeted their guests (who had done a grand job in pulling their part off in secret) and then they walked over to a table. The girlfriend was mystified and kept asking what the heck was going on!?  

That's when "our fella" got down on one knee, handed her a rose, and asked her to be his wife. I thought she might pass out, but she didn't. Her hands flew to her mouth in surprise and in tears, she called out loudly

 "YES, I WILL MARRY YOU!!!" Everyone began clapping and cheering, and champagne bottle corks began popping. There were enough tables for their family and friends to sit down and enjoy a cold drink, and some tidbits of snacks.

"Our fella" came over with a smile so wide, I thought a person couldn't smile any wider. He thanked us heartily for our help and handed me an envelope with a card in it. I tucked it in my coat and thanked him. Wishing them both a very long happy life and off we drove. The drive back was as great as the drive out and I think that heated August day made us all a little more tired than normal. My mare got a good rinse to make her comfortable once we were home, we fed the rest of the horses and headed towards a cool house for the rest of the evening. What a perfect way to end the day! It was then I remembered the card in my pocket... It was an invitation to their wedding (on a day to 'be announced') and a crisp one-hundred-dollar bill. That even made the day absolutely Perfect for us too. :)












No comments: