Saturday, August 1, 2020

Horse Shows and HEAT

8/1/2020
Firstly I am not sure if I like this "new" set up that blogger has created, but I'll give it a chance. :) 

I stopped seriously competing in shows when I was in my late 40s - early 50s, but still showed my Percherons after moving up here from Maryland.  When we first found this farm, I really wanted to slow down and be able to enjoy my personal horses. Oh nooooo- What does a horsewoman do but attempt to fill every- single- stall? (there were 12)  And I was there. < chuckles>  It wasn't long until the carriage business had begun with a few weddings booked and a couple of horses to teach to drive. 
So it goes...

When I lived in Maryland, I taught horses and humans to get along better. This included riding lessons, horsemanship lessons, and more. Shows- Oh the Shows! We would hit the county fairs, some shows in Pennsylvania, and down into Virginia. That was early on in my show career and then there were the students who also wanted to compete. There were times when I'd have kids in my barn still braiding manes or tails at midnight before show day. The rules were that those who were showing must do all of their own preparation. (Within reason that is.) When one is too short to reach a pony's back to be sure it is clean, mom or dad could help, but not with gathering all show clothing together, making sure boots were polished and helmets looked like new. I've had kids show up just as I started the truck engine, running as fast as their little legs could go, dragging show clothing bags behind them. (''whew- you JUST made it in time, didn't you?!?!") A nod to mom and off we'd go. Those who wanted to show with us had to clean/ polish their tack also. Right down to making sure the halters their horse/ pony wore in the trailer were fresh and clean. Leg wraps had to all but sparkle in being clean... any blanket or sheet had to look as close to new as possible, and yep, even curb chains, if there were any, had to sparkle.

My gosh, did those kids work hard to be 'good enough to be able to show with "our barn". Sure, I seemed like a slave driver back then, but it was all done with laughter and fun.  There were 8-year-olds who would have competition in whose curb-chain was the cleanest one season.  It was fun to see how high their standards got after a while. Those who hung in there and worked hard to be winners in a show ring told me much later after they had grown up... and yes, would bring their children to learn from me.... that even though the work was so hard, they carried those high standards with them all thru their lives.  To me? A huge compliment...

Horses and ponies had to be spit-polished before the show day... which meant a lot of currying a month before. In order to acquire that 'mirror finish', those kids had to begin far in advance. We didn't need all the spray on stuff that promises a shiny coat or a silken tail/mane. It happened naturally and judges would let those kids know they understood the long grooming sessions that had been done. I loved hearing how happy those kids were even when they didn't place in the ribbons.
 " Did you hear what the judge told ME about my pony????"    
 Ear-to-ear grins made it a perfect day for us all.

 The rules- oh my gosh, the RULES. Each kid had to find his/her own number and be sure they had a way to have it on their backs, saddles had to be dust-free, bits had to shine- and be free of "yucky stuff" as it was called. Boots had to be buffed right before one entered the ring and a quick rub rag over those glistening equine coats. Hoof dressing wasn't used much back then but we knew a way to make those hooves shine without it.  If one had gone to get a soda or snack, and were late, they heard about it... and had to double time getting their horse ready. There was one time someone was late and everyone chipped in helping them get ready for their class. It is how we 'rolled'. No one was better than anyone else, and we were a team. A well-oiled team that worked perfectly back then and it was incredible fun.

If someone did a great job and won a blue ribbon, everyone cheered for that win and hugs all around. If someone had a bad class, everyone said positive things and yes, hugs too.  

To me, it was very important that "my" group learned good sportsmanship and how to behave if they lost or didn't do as well as they thought they should have. After a class, one had to take care of their own horse/pony properly (after changing from their show clothes). Hosing the sweat off, scraping, and if needed, hand walking until their best friend was cool and safe to be put in their stall.  They all learned how to tell if their pony felt "off" when being ridden and if maybe it was not feeling 100%. Those kids sometimes amazed me at what they notice.

Was it a lot of extra work for me? It sure as heck was... did I have my hand out to parents, expecting to be paid for every single minute I spent with their children? I did not.  My pay was seeing dirt-covered, smelly kids having one of the best days that they'd had in a long time. Happy, smiley faces and happy equines. I know the kids slept just about the whole way home but for a few who were still on that ' show high' and didn't stop talking till we were almost home. No matter how tired everyone was, we still took care of those who had helped make the day great.  

Now, all that is over and done with, but I still have so many wonderful memories of all those years. The tears and the cheers- they stay with me and will never be forgotten.















No comments: