Friday, July 16, 2021

'Hot now, summer in the city'

7.16.21


 Wow was it hot today! In fact, it is still in the 90s... ugh.  The 'dog days' on the east coast.  As my Finnish Grandfather always said when he didn't want to do something  " No thank you, very much" 

Even the trees look hot on my drive to where my mares are boarded. My solitary tomato plant is drinking a ton of water - and it gets all it requires. The little flowers don't like this sort of heat either- I feel like I'm constantly watering them. I feel bad for the horses and cattle the most.  There are places where there is no shade in their pastures, and then? Great open fields with a group of trees to stand under when it was incredibly hot.

Jaide's eyelid cut is looking really good - turns out she's a good one for healing. It is in a place that luckily doesn't get dirty and I tell her how wonderful she's doing on getting better.  I like to think she's liking all of the extra attention too. What a sweet mare she has become! Trusting, calm, but full of fire if needed. Sort of like my little firecracker in pony skin. Speaking of Briana- wow, she has lost all of her winter fat!  She is like she used to be before the rich grass in PA allowed her to gain all that weight. I imagine she will fit easily into my awful cart. 

This afternoon, while Jaide was finishing her dinner, I combed out Briana's tangled mane. Oh, my word- it was a mess! I will shorten it tomorrow, so long as it isn't as scraggly. Same with Jaide's mane. I know Standardbreds are supposed to have "long manes'' but hers will become a little thicker with it being shortened. I never Pull manes any longer. Instead, I use an old clipper blade- very little discomfort/ pain and the horses learn about that.  Usually, they're fine and look wonderful afterwards :)

I remember one hot summer's day back in Pa when my chickens all wanted to come into the barn early. I have a photo of them all standing on the mounting block, looking at the screen door.  This was a while ago, but I still remember them waiting there for me.


When I finally settle down somewhere, I will have more chickens for sure. Just my two mares, Cleo, Simone and yes, chickens.  I miss their antics and company so much.


I still remember little Bess singing her heart out simply because she was happy. And then, the gawd-awful roosters.  Wicked beings- each one. They sure created some lovely chicks though. We all learned to run and run fast, OR carry a big stick with us when those guys were loose.

I am no closer to deciding where "home" will be but I do know this much- there'll be enough room for us all to live together.  I don't mind boarding much, but there's nothing like being able to head to the barn when a big summer storm is coming. Or when it is being awful in winter, with ice and hail.  I just like having everyone in the same place.

The farm where I board has acquired some new animals!  Three Scottish Highland cattle- a bull and two ladies. The breed is my second favorite - next to Jersey cattle. Those are my favorites. I love their huge brown eyes and long lashes. They almost remind me of Percheron foals in that sense. The foals always have elegant long lashes and I miss being able to visit and chat with the babies. 

That's Evie above... and her mama, Katie, in the background.

 I miss them all so much, but now? On to bigger and better things, I hope. :)
 
News flash- I will be a legally divorced woman in the middle of October! Since I have been out of the Pa. farm, there's been a lot of soul searching on my behalf.  Growing and becoming stronger as well. No longer the broken woman from before and I'm feeling a lot more like the ME I used to be.
Not to mention I'm kind of liking her. No longer do I have a need to explain who I am , what I believe in and so much more. As Popeye used to say 
" I Yam what I Yam"
 
As for this summer heat in mid-July?
"No Thank You, Very Much!!"
My favorite pony, Briana  :) 









No comments: