Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Whew- Summer is HERE.

 7/7/21


June was warm, but July is positively miserable! Holy mackerel-high heat, humidity and I remember SO well why I preferred Pennsylvania weather. As I have gotten ( ahem....)  Older, I sure don't enjoy summer heat /humidity.   Anyways, thanks for AC!!

Living alone isn't so scary any longer. I worried about what would happen if I got seriously hurt... then realized that it is 'worry' and not wise to dwell on those things. I kind of like it, actually. No more 20 questions about where/ what I am going to do before I leave. Such a relief! I felt as though I was being interrogated because I was having affairs or something. I am sure it isn't how it was meant to, but I felt that way. Good grief.  As if...

Cleo is doing so wonderfully! She has adapted to apartment living like a pro. Simone has become a satisfied house kitty instead of a barn kitty. She teases Cleo like crazy. You see, Cleo thinks she is allowed to chase anything that will run.  That is her mission concerning Simone. Make Simone run and well, it is fine to chase after her. This place is not that big but still, there's a bit of room. Simone tears down the short hallway and into the bedroom. She zooms under the bed, Cleo in hot pursuit. Cleo has to stop as she is never going to fit under this bed. So she dashes around the sides and end of the bed, trying to see Simone. This goes alright until one time when she was laying at the end of the bed, peeking under at Simone.  All of a sudden, a little grey paw sticks out and Cleo goes bonkers! As Cleo runs to one side and is on her way around the end of my bed, Simone is long gone. Back up the hall and onto her favorite chair in the living room. I sit here laughing at it all. This goes on all day long. When I leave, however, Cleo is such a good dog. She'll sleep on my bed or on her bed in the big closet. When I return, it is as though I've been gone for months!  There's nothing better than a happy dog waiting for a person to get home.

 I miss having my hens because the 'store bought' eggs are pretty tasteless compared to farm-raised hens who lay eggs.  I really miss having my horses in my back yard TOO. Even though it is just flat out too hot to do other than groom or whatever, I miss being able to walk to the barn and be with them. I go every evening to feed and turn out then clean stalls, wash buckets, etc, and re-bed. It's nice to know they will both have fresh clean smelling stalls to be in the next day.  There's nothing better than being in a barn, I think.  Yeah- even when it is beastly hot out. 

People are beginning to ask me when I'm going to begin 'dating'. Ummmm, I am not interested in it at all, so it will be a while before that happens. Heck, not even divorced yet.  Hahaha- I liken it to when newlyweds are visiting parents who keep asking " when are you going to get pregnant?"   So - dating isn't in the picture at this moment. That could change and quickly, but so far? Nah.  Way too many strange men "out there'' anyways.  No thanks. I find that many women in their 50's and more can't meet men who haven't any problems. I'm not looking at all; had my fill of strange men already.

My little tomato plant isn't so little any longer! I had to stake it so it would have to stop leaning over. There are dear little tomatoes on it, and daily when I give the plant water, I check to see if they are beginning to ripen. Not so far. :(  It'll be grand fun to have fresh tomatoes sprinkled w/ Old Bay seasoning  The flowering plants are busily making flowers and they make the deck look so cheery.  Very different from how I lived most of my life- so very different! 

I hope everyone had a good Independence Day. Here it was like a war zone with the fireworks. I read about a Recycling plant that was completely destroyed that evening. Investigations are going on but many folks think it was due to fireworks being exploded close by.  Where the Girls live, some idiots were shooting them off so close to the back pastures. People have no idea of the hysteria that happens to prey animals. Horses are prey animals and when they get scared, they run to attempt to get away. They will try to jump fences, run right through them. Dogs who don't like loud noises?  Cleo is one of them, and she is absolutely terrorized. She slinks back to my closet and "hides'' until she thinks it safe to come out. Humans don't seem to think of outlying problems- but more themselves. If they got to see the panic in a group of horses maybe they'd understand some?  I highly doubt it with some of them.  I'm glad the 4th of July is over. I love seeing fireworks, but not if someone's animals are being scared so badly they get injured.

 Enjoy your summer! Most horse folks won't unless they have a big pool to leap into or a boat to take out on a river/bay or ocean. OR if you just Love the heat/humidity??   Go for it- enjoy :)

Below is my idea of "boating" 



Then how it REALLY would be :




Have a great July!!!





No comments: