Thursday, September 16, 2021

'Brown Bomber'

 The very first equine I met that was slightly nuts in the head was Brown Bomber. Where his owners came up with that, I will never know. I must have been just 14 when the owner called my house to speak to me. Seems he had this horse that no one could stay on, let alone ride anywhere.

My friend, Dennis and I rode our horses to the farm where I'd been told this Brown Bomber was kept. It was close to the river and a big dairy cow farm. He sure was BROWN. Not a speck of white on him for decoration at all. Dennis and I both decided that perhaps God had run out of white because this horse had none. He wasn't very handsome either. Roman nosed, little piggy eyes and he kind of looked like a lot of equine leftovers had been put together to create this one. I remembered reading a very very old horse book that I had gotten from my neighbor. In it, there were drawings of different horses depicting good types of dispositions and then the horses who were just flat-out nasty tempered. Brown Bomber was fashioned after the latter.  This drawing is from that book...  and it was very similar to good ol' Brown Bomber.


He didn't have a halter on and hadn't been brushed in quite some time. His coat was filthy and his mane /tail were matted so badly, we thought both would have to be cut off.  So they could re-grow eventually.

Each time we tried to get near him, he'd gallop off, throwing kicks at us. Whew!  He was aiming at us to be sure. All of a sudden he whirled around to face us. I looked at Dennis and he looked at me. That was when we chose to run like screaming banshees- toward the block wall that was Brown Bomber’s         
   " fence''  I didn't know Dennis could run so fast! I was flying low as I stayed right with him. We hit that block wall, leaping as high as we could and getting over it. He missed getting close enough to hurt us by a fraction of a second. 
As we lay there, gasping for air, Dennis looked over at me and started laughing. I could not figure out what was so darned funny. We had almost been a snack for a very wicked horse. All of a sudden the whole escapade hit me too- and we both lay there laughing out loud at how we must have looked.

Later that week, I called Brown Bombers' owner and said he was a very nasty horse and I'd suggest finding him a home with a Huge pasture to live out his life in.  ( just not MINE, I thought to myself)







No comments: