Thursday, September 16, 2021

GoodBye, Jaide



 9.16.21

Recently, I have been forced to realize I can no longer afford two horses and keep them as I like. This means proper vaccinations, dewormings, hoof care, and much more. Horses are NOT cheap to own when cared for in a correct manner. Sure, a person can buy a $100.00 horse, stick it out in a pasture and never do a thing in the way of care. THAT person is not me, though. Ever since I was old enough to know about what things were needed to keep my horse happy and healthy, I would work and save any extra money I had and they'd get the "whatever'' was needed. 

So, that being forced upon me, I knew one of the mares had to go. I had basically gotten Jaide to be a friend for Briana and possibly driving down the road aways.  Briana was my keeper, no matter what. She is simple to care for and little. Easy to care for, just about unflappable, and is great fun to have around. I have loved her ever since I first met her, so it was an easy choice.

While Jaide was easy to care for, she needed a lot more feed and would need twice as much hay, come winter. I also didn't have a warm turnout blanket for her. More money to spend... not to mention IF I wanted to drive her? I'd need a larger horse-sized cart and a horse-sized harness. Neither of which I own any longer, with thanks to being basically told to sell horse equipment.

With thanks to the pending divorce, I am practically broke. Now I wish I had gone after everything I could have-I was trying to be "nice". well, let me tell ya. Nice people end up holding the proverbial short end of the stick.  And I am one. With sending Jaide back to the rescue that owns her, my expenditures would be less than half this winter.

I called them, filled out the correct forms needed, and returned them. About 2 weeks later I got a call letting me know that they'd found a good place for her to live. The next week, the stock trailer showed up and after two tries, she walked right in. I held back my tears until they'd gone, and then Briana and I had a good cry for missing her. 

What I won't miss, however, is how mean Jaide was to Bri. She would back up and kick her for no good reason. One time, she was kicking at another horse and hit a human. THAT was not acceptable in my book- so there were some other positives to her leaving. She would not allow the barn owner's gelding in the run-in. He stood outside in all the summer storms we have had here, including a tropical storm. Ace is now happily joining Briana in the run-in shed.

 Because of all those factors, returning Jaide to where she came from was positive, except for my missing her. We had developed a kind of an agreement:  I wouldn't hurt or scare her ( never on purpose!) and she wouldn't kick or bite me.  She was a sweet mare to work around but that nasty nasty temper towards other horses- sheeesh.

I'm one horse lighter financially, and not having to worry about the upcoming winter weather Maryland has sometimes. Have I settled that mentally? Not really as I did like her a lot. It'll take some time to not drive to the barn and look for her coming from the pasture behind Briana...

                                           πŸ’“Best of the best wishes to you, Jaidens Fortune!πŸ’“πŸ’“








No comments: