Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Suzi from Pennsylvania.

  Quite a few years ago, a friend and mine went to what is now considered a 'kill auction' in Pennsylvania. I wanted another lesson pony and thought maybe, just maybe there'd be one for sale there on that day.  

Off we went, the day was a wonderfully sunny day but cold as it was December. We arrived a little late and a couple of large ponies I thought would do had already been sold. It was fine as I wasn't really thinking I would find The pony there. Back then, an auction was fun to attend. One didn't have to be concerned very much with the kill buyers being there and generally, the horses all had a reason why they were there but nothing like today's sales.

We looked around a little and climbed up in the bleacher seats to watch the horses get sold. The sale was winding down that day and I figured it was not going to happen. I wasn't going to find a perfect lesson pony that needed a little re-training and better care. We sat there, chatting with the people around us, and listening to the auctioneer do his thing. He called for 'any more horses left" ????  " Last Chance, folks!"

Nothing happened but in a minute, an Amish boy came into the ring leading a medium-sized " white" pony. Oh, she was fuzzy as can be and looked a little terrified.  All of the noise, the people so high up, and did I mention that noise?  I had learned to ignore it all but not a  little white pony who'd not ever been to a sale before.

She was cute and of course, my friend poked me in the side saying " Look!!  That's a cute pony!"  I didn't really want to bid for her as no one rode her, not the right size and I had driven my fancy pants car. Left the truck/trailer at home. All of a sudden she raised her arm up and waved at the auctioneer.  " Here!! "

He took her bid and I looked at her like she was crazy. Long story short, we bought that little dirty white 'wrong sized' pony for just a little bit of money. Now how to get her home to Maryland? Not being prepared at all for a pony mare that so far as I knew, wasn't trained at all.

I called my husband back then, telling him that if possible, take some time off from his job, and bring the rig to the sale. I told him I had purchased a Percheron, and needed a ride home. We had a good 2 hrs to hang around, waiting for him to arrive. We walked over to where "the pony" was tied.  It was a mare which was nice. She was small- we guessed between 12-13 hands tall and the Amish guy told us that he'd bought her out of Ohio where she was pulling kids around in a little cart all day.  Ok- so Maybe she knew how to drive? He told me he thought she was "around 12".  I knew better as I'd been to a few auctions in my time. "Around 12" meant she could be any age from 10- 30 yrs old. The pony didn't want me to see how old she was and I didn't argue with her. 

Finally, the husband showed up, bless his heart. She jumped right into the giant stock trailer and stood quietly. I thought that was a good thing also. Off they went,  my friend and I followed behind.  Got home safely, put her in a stall down at the end of the barn in case she came brewing an upper respiratory infection as many horses develop when at sales. Luckily she didn't get sick at all, in fact she settled in really easily. I got a chance to look her over better the next day and liked how she was built. Nothing outstanding but sound and basically healthy. Maybe I didn't do so badly after all.  She got turned out in a small area - away from the other horses again.

And that began my friendship with "Summer Storm"... AKA - Suzi. Stay tuned for more of her tales!


 




No comments: