Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Welcome, Cleo!

 11.11.20

Firstly:

Here's to a BIG Thank you to all of the veterans!!!  Thank you for fighting, working, and doing all you can to keep this country Safe.



After I lost my Sadie, I had pretty much decided 'no more dogs' right now. My heart ached too much and just felt awful. A few weeks passed and still, I didn't want another dog in my life. I'd looked at some rescues but nothing tempted me. I didn't want any more giant bulldogs at all. 
 One day I was catching up with some friends on social media and saw a message from a gal I know. She loves horses and would just move into the tack room if possible. Her mom had had some terrible things happen in her life and needed to find a home for her animals. What my friend had in mind was home for a certain dog if I was ready to love another one yet.  I told her 'no, I didn't think so'. 
 
About a week later, she put a post on her page about the dog... She was a Border Collie and was completely house trained and more.
She hadn't posted any photos yet, so I wrote and asked to see some.  The dog was so cute and I was hooked.
The gal told me that if I wanted, they could bring the dog over for me to meet, and I said yes.

It took about a week before we got a good time for us all to meet.
Cleo and her 'mom' and my friend arrived right on time that Saturday.
Oh my gosh, what a sweet dog! She knew how to retrieve, and do all kinds of fun things. She didn't pay much attention to me, which was normal as I held no importance in her life. She was friendly but truly loved her 'mom' and it showed.

I decided Cleo might be a good fit in my life and on this farm. We got things sorted out and that my friend was going to bring back all of Cleo's things. Cleo's mom cried at letting her go but knew it had to happen. I got teary-eyed also- I knew how it felt to do that very thing. To say Goodbye...

They drove off and Cleo broke my heart by sitting at the door, waiting for her mom to come back to get her. It was so sad... Finally she came into my office and stayed there with me. We went out for a walk and when we had returned to the house, my friend had returned with all of Cleo's things. How very kind to send her bones, and toys, along with her dog bed. She even sent some dog food to hold us until I could buy some. Wonderful instructions for Cleo, and information about her vaccinations, when they were due, and who her groomer was. I felt confident that we'd be alright after all.

That night, Cleo slept on the bed and was so quiet I hardly knew she was there. Ever since we have become very close. I love her totally by now and wonder what life was when she wasn't in it. She's incredibly intelligent and quick to learn anything. I have to be careful that she learns only good things. Cleo has been being a great watchdog for a few weeks now, barking her shrill bark, warning anyone who is outside that they'd better beware! 
 There happens to be a Border Collie on watch!

She comes to the barn with me when I go, when I leave to get errands done, if she can come along, she loves it. 
So we both are looking forward to many years of fun and laughter.

Below is Cleo with her most favorite toy- her "Loggie''
every night, we MUST take it with us to bed, or life isn't good.


She's watching my hand holding the tennis ball- set to take off to catch it.


Cleo waiting at the gate for me

Bringing her tennis ball to me

What a great friend she is!













No comments: