Friday, June 30, 2023

“I just wanna ride”

 6/30/23.

How many times have I heard that. With over 40 years of teaching people how to ride, I don’t remember. Many times at least. One simply needs to start at the bottom and move up the ladder to be able to “ just ride “.

As stated in the note below, it’s imperative that you begin with the basics and start learning. Learning how to enter a horse’s stall, how to use the many safety precautions required for not being killed… how to clean a stall properly and safely with a horse in it.Learning how to groom a horse in a safe correct way.

There are so many things to learn that we horse people don’t even think about anymore due to learning it all  correctly. Safety precautions will prevent a bad kick or more. You need to learn how to halter a horse and then lead it to any area.

Just simply knowing how a horse thinks and will behave is huge. What does your horse see when being anywhere… What will a horse react to, remembering that they are prey animals. 

I remember teaching my students how their horses are not as brave as they seem to be. That given a chance to flee from something they perceive as a threat, they will run right over the human to save them selves. Most horses are basically frightened of things they don’t understand or remember from earlier in life.

So when I hear about how one just wants to ride, I have to chuckle. There have been times when I brought a very quiet horse into the aisle of my barn and told the “I just wanna ride “ student, okay, let’s just ride. Often times they’re not going to have a idea how to even get started. It takes all of my patience to not tell them what to do. Most of the time, I find something else to be doing so I don’t.Every single time, they will stand there helplessly, waiting for me to at least give a hint. Nope. Soon, I can’t stand it and we’ll end discussing the why’s behind how important it is to learn from the beginning. 

All of a sudden, I have a student who is very interested in learning it All. From “horses are very dangerous to be around, all the way to mounting correctly, and having a good time. 

If you “ just wanna ride” next time, go to a local trail riding place and pay for a ride. Chances are going to be great that you will Still be given the basics on how to ride.





                                ****************************************************

‘I want to just ride’ - Say this to any seasoned professional in the game and they will look at you like ‘Oh honey’ 😂 

   You have to learn to be a rider, groom, horseman/women, business owner, lead a team, handle clients and alongside all this you’ve still got to muck out and pick a broom up until you can earn enough money to have someone help you do this whilst you are doing something else to earn this said money. 

‘I want to just ride’ doesn’t exist and  if you see someone doing that you have no idea how hard they worked to get in that position. So get sweeping my friend ♥️ 

#reality #horseworld #equestrianlife #horseriding #horserider #dressagerider #truth #equestrianstyle #equine #horsemanship

No comments: