Saturday, April 3, 2010

Lil' Chix


For some time now, I've been wanting to try raising some chickens. Having had some long ago, this year was the year for this farm! I'd waited long enough- my husband still doesn't acknowledge their existence but they are here. And, living in the garden tub in my bathroom ! I borrowed a brooder from a good friend along with a feeder and waterer. When the chicks arrived at the local feed store- I'd be ready.

That was March 11th, and today is April 3rd, the day before Easter. The chicks now have a lot of feathers and have all but doubled in size. I chose two each- and all hens of : Silver Wyandottes,Partridge Plymouth Rocks,Light Brahmas,Dominques,and two Rhode Island Red babies. From what I'd read, one should get more than one wants to end up with due to "chick loss" ( IE- some might die). Well, I ordered 10, thinking I would end up with 7-8 hens.I still have TEN babies. There are two 'weak and smaller ones who now are living in a shoe box w/ their feed/ water in there but the others ? They are all doing real great .... growing and eating- and of course, pooping like mad. Once they are 5-6 weeks old, I can start getting them outside for a while. Slowly working them up to being able to handle the weather. I need to buy some chicken fencing to go up as a pen and get one of the extra stalls out back ready as a hen house, so its going to be a busy spring here !

No comments: